Friday, November 22, 2013

Romesco diaries: Entry #2, Pan-seared salmon w/ roasted veggie medley and sautéed potatoes

Yesterday's entry was shrimp penne and can be found here (my romesco recipe included). 

In my attempt to make full use of a week's worth of homemade romesco, I will be using the sauce in different dishes every day. Today's ingredients were baby potatoes that I have forgotten about (they had begun growing sprouts!), salmon, and leftover raw vegetables that needed cooking (3 mini vine tomatoes, 1 bell pepper, 2 small carrots). 


As with a bunch of mismatched vegetables, what better way to cook them than to have them thrown together in olive oil and roasted. I added an onion for sweetness and some cremini mushrooms (brown buttons) for earthiness. 


The baby potatoes were boiled then sautéed with butter, olive oil and parsley. Salt and pepper to taste. I stirred constantly to get them all fluffy/ fuzzy on the outside. I notice there's a lack of green on the plate and I would have added some baby asparagus, green beans or french beans; if I had any.




There's no complication to this dish as everything was seasoned with salt and pepper and cooked in olive oil. I would say the cooking on the fish is extremely important as it is a focal point in the dish and crispy salmon skin tastes absolutely wonderful. To get it crispy easier, score the fish skin, making sure not to cut too deep; and salt generously at a height to cover more surface area evenly. I make sure the pan is at high heat when laying the fish down skin-side. I then lower the heat depending on how crispy the skin is and how fast the fish is cooking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment